Please see the attached Newsletter above.
- REACT – The road to the Transfer Site is not maintained in the winter. A “blue bin” has been set up at the Village Maintenance Shop and will be open to the public the 1st and 3rd Saturday of each winter month from 9am to 1pm. The Transfer Site will be open again in the spring with regular hours of operation each Saturday. In the meantime if you have any appliances to throw away please call the village office for assistance!
- REACT – For the Christmas and New Year season, regular curbside garbage pickup will occur on Monday, December 21th and Monday, December 28! Please have your garbage out before 7:00 am.
- Christmas trees will be collected in the spring it they are placed in the alley before May 1.
- 2020 Property Taxes may be paid up to 12:00pm on December 30, 2020. Please call the Village Office to make different arrangements if you would like to make a payment. A 10% penalty is automatically applied to all arrears on January 1, 2021.
- Village Office Holiday Hour
- Monday, Dec. 21 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, Dec. 22 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, Dec. 23 – Friday, Dec. 25 will be closed
- Monday, Dec. 28 to Wednesday Dec. 30 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
- Thursday, December 31 and Jan. 1 will be closed
- Drake Library will be regular hours
- Tuesday, December 22 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, December 23 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Thursday, December. 24 10:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m
Drake Village Council Report for 2020.
2020 has been an interesting year for all of us, with the onset of the COVID-19 Pandemic dictating much of what we can and can’t do. We are in the midst of the “second wave” therefore we have had to close our rink to scheduled games and limit numbers for practises etc. However, there is hope on the horizon as Vaccines have been developed and will be available to most of us in early 2021.
In spite of the way the year has gone the village council and administration have been busy. We received government funding for much needed and required upgrades to our present water system. A second well has been dug to insure a constant supply of water for the village. We will be adding an additional 232,000 liters of holding capacity in early spring and some plant ventilation upgrades will be completed which will improve the longevity of the filtration system in our plant. The project is being funded by federal and provincial governments paying 77% of the projected cost and the village paying the remainder.
Along with special projects our aging infrastructure has necessitated repairs to waterlines in a number of locations in the village during the year. Some of our sidewalks have either been repaired or replaced and pot holes were filled in our streets where possible.
In October of 2019 our local credit union closed its doors and the village was successful in its bid to purchase the building for the sum of $10.00. Plans were developed to renovate the building, providing new village offices, a new library facility and a community meeting room. Once again funding became available and we were able to get 99% of the costs of the renovations covered, by the provincial gov’t. As I write this, renovations have been completed and the move to the new facility has begun.
The Fire Department will take over the old offices and plans are being developed. Preparations for the 2021 budget will begin early in the new year.
Unfortunately, we have to say goodbye to our administrator at the end of December as Ilona and her family plan to move back to Germany to be with their families. Ilona began her employment with us in 2010 and has proven to be an outstanding administrator and a huge help to council. We’ll miss her and we thank her for her many years of service and wish her well in her new endeavors.
I would like to take this opportunity to introduce our new village administrator Pierrette Woynarski. For the last 2 years she has been the administrator for the RM of Arborfield. She makes her home with her family in Wynyard and will be making the daily commute. We welcome her and we look forward to working with her in the New Year.
We would also like to welcome Erin Richard to our council and we thank her for her interest in being a part of our local government.
We wish you all as merry a Christmas as you can have this year and we look forward to serving you in the new year.